College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
CLEP exams test mastery of college-level material acquired in a variety of ways — through general academic instructions, significant independent study or extracurricular work. CLEP exam takers include adults just entering or returning to school, military Service members and traditional college students.
Visit the College Board website at www.collegeboard.org/clep and select “CLEP for Military.” Review the information page and “Next Steps” to verify DANTES-funded eligibility, or refer to DANTES Funding Eligibility Requirements.
CLEP National Test Centers
Prior to testing, determine if the college or university you’re enrolled in awards credit for CLEP exams, then select a CLEP National Test Center nearest you from the “Contact your Test Center” search.
- On-Campus: test centers are colleges and universities that do not agree to waive the registration fee. Service members are responsible for paying the registration fee which is not funded or reimbursed by DANTES.
- Fully-Funded: test centers may be located on-base or on-campus and agree to waive the registration fee for DANTES-funded examinees. Administration and examination fees are paid by DANTES.
Non-refundable advance registration fees at sites not designated as Fully-Funded are not funded or reimbursed by DANTES. Service members and eligible civilians self-fund the administration fee. Fees vary by institution.
Follow these steps:
- Visit the College Board’s website: www.collegeboard.org/clep
- If you don’t already have one, create a new account in "My Account".
- During the registration process, indicate DANTES-funding eligible if applicable.
- Present the printed “ticket,” authorized government ID and a second form of ID to the Test Administrator at the selected CLEP Test Center.
- Contact the College Board for assistance with the registration process through "Contact Us" on their website.
Effective 11 Dec 10, DANTES only funds test fees for the first attempt on all CLEP titles. Examinees may not repeat an examination of the same title within three months of the initial testing date and must retest on a self-paid basis (civilian testing procedure and fees apply).
Prior to 17 Oct 14, scores for exams of the same title repeated within 180 calendar days will not be reported to the designated institution; they will be invalidated by the College Board and the examinee must wait an additional 180 calendar days to retest.
Scoring and Reporting
Visit clep.collegeboard.org/about/score for score receipt and reporting information.
- Passing scores for DANTES-funded CLEP exams taken by Air Force members are automatically reported to the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF).
- Scores for all DANTES-funded CLEP exams taken Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard are automatically reported to their Joint Service Transcript (JST). Air Force members should contact AFAEMS through the Air Force Virtual Education Center (AFVEC) website.
- Scores for self-funded CLEP exams are not reported to CCAF or JST. Ask the CLEP Test Administrator for score reporting instructions.