A form of prior learning assessment, DSSTs offer students a cost-effective, timesaving way to use their knowledge acquired outside of the classroom (perhaps from reading, on-the-job training, or independent study) to accomplish their educational goals. Over 2,000 colleges and universities recognize the DSST program and award college credit for passing scores. Colleges, universities and corporations throughout the United States and in some other countries administer tests year-round.
DSST National Test Centers
Prior to testing, determine if the college or university you're enrolled in awards credit for DSST exams, then select a National Test Center nearest you from the "Locate an Institution" search.
- On-Campus: test centers are colleges and universities that do not agree to waive the registration fee. Service members are responsible for paying the registration fee which is not funded or reimbursed by DANTES.
- Fully-Funded: test centers may be located on-base or on-campus and agree to waive the registration fee for DANTES-funded examinees. Administration and examination fees are paid by DANTES.
Non-refundable advance registration fees at sites not designated as Fully-Funded are not funded or reimbursed by DANTES. Service members and eligible civilians self-fund the administration fee which may vary by institution.
Scheduling a DSST Exam
Review the DSST "Test Taker Information Bulletin" for testing and scheduling information. Present an authorized government ID and a second form of ID to the Test Administrator at the selected DSST Test Center.
Effective 11 Dec 10, DANTES only funds fees for the first attempt on all DSST titles.
Examinees may retest on a self-paid basis (civilian testing procedure and fees apply) after the 90-calendar day waiting period has elapsed.
Scoring and Reporting
Refer to DSST SCORING POLICIES in the "Test Taker Information Bulletin."
- Passing scores for DANTES-funded DSSTs taken by Air Force members are automatically reported to the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF).
- Scores for all DANTES-funded DSST exams taken Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard are automatically reported to their Joint Service Transcript (JST). Air Force members should contact AFAEMS through the Air Force Virtual Education Center (AFVEC) website.
- Scores for self-funded DSST exams are not reported to CCAF or JST. Ask the DSST Test Administrator for score reporting instructions.