Resolve School Concerns (PECS)

Postsecondary Education Complaint System Helps Resolve Student Concerns

Program Overview

The Department of Defense maintains the Postsecondary Education Complaint System (PECS) that provides military students the opportunity to file complaints against a school. Examples of education-related issues may include, but are not limited to, misrepresentation or deceptive actions with regard to private or institutional loans, high-pressure recruitment tactics, false representations about degree programs, and misleading statements regarding accreditation.

PECS will track, manage, and process student complaints at one of three levels, depending on the user assigned to manage the grievance. Students using federal education benefits and programs will be able to register their complaint online. The system electronically records information about the educational institution, nature of the issue/complaint, and the complainant’s contact information. The agencies cited in the Executive Order (Departments of Defense, Education, Justice, Veterans Affairs, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) will be responsible for tracking, managing, and providing a response to student complaints.

Student Benefits

Students benefit from:
  • Assistance with resolving school issues and concerns
  • Protection against abusive and deceptive recruiting/retention practices by institutions of higher learning
  • Program that monitors compliance with DoD and federal policies to ensure access to quality educational opportunities
  • Ensures students receive the information, support, and tools they need to make informed decisions about all aspects of their education

Program Eligibility

If you or your family member receives tuition assistance or is a Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Scholarship recipient, you are encouraged to submit feedback through PECS.

If you are not using TA or My Career Advancement Account Scholarship education benefits, please submit your complaint to the appropriate agency:

When to submit a complaint

You may submit a complaint if your school is failing to follow the Principles of Excellence. This initiative is designed to empower you and your family members to report misleading or unfair actions by education institutions. Examples of education related issues may include, but are not limited to, misrepresentation or deceptive actions concerning multiple unsolicited phone calls or emails used as a high-pressure recruitment tactic, false representation about degree programs, misleading statements regarding accreditation, or promoting costly private or institutional loans. The types of complaints DoD will review include the following:

  • Recruiting and marketing practices
  • Quality of education
  • Accreditation
  • Grade Policy
  • Financial issues (for example, tuition and fee charges)
  • Release of transcripts
  • Student loans
  • Transfer of credits
  • Post-graduation job opportunities
  • Refund or collection issues
  • Change in degree plan and requirements
  • Other

If you are experiencing issues specific to your TA or MyCAA education benefit, for example, eligibility, application/request form, or payment, please direct them to your DoD military service education representative.

Need Help?

TA Request/Voucher Issues:

Contact your Military Service automation system for assistance:

For VA Issues:

Contact the VA toll free at 1.800.827.1000 or 1.888.442.4551, or go to for GI Bill contact information.